Basketball is social game. Playing it, you can kill two birds with one stone and catch up with the latest happenings in your friends’ life and get in shape while having fun. Did you know that even the ex-president Barack Obama plays basketball as a way to stay fit and healthy? So, what is so special about the game that could help you with your health goals?
- You burn calories. Quite a lot of them, actually. Basketball includes quite a few quick movements plus a lot of running and jumping. It is a great aerobic exercise which can help you burn up to 500 calories (if you are 150lbs)
- If is great for your heart. The constant moving will keep your heart rate up and you will build cardiovascular endurance. You can count on playing basketball to keep you from getting a stroke when you age. Just a ball for indoor courts and ask few friends to join you in the fun
- Improves your focus. Sports build character. Basketball has a set of rules you need to follow and if you broke them it will result in punishment. This simple setup helps with the self-discipline. You learn to play by the rules and learn to compete while playing fair.
- Better coordination – hand eye coordination is constantly improving due to the shooting for the hop. Then there’s dribbling – another way to train your coordination – you have to keep your eyes on the target, know where the other team platers are and dribble at the same time.
- Strength improvement – basketball is a full body workout which helps develop the muscles. After all you have to keep your opponents off while dribbling and constantly maintain your body position.
- Balance – apart from everything else you need to keep your balance at all times. Players quickly learn to note where their body parts are at any given time (body awareness). Do you know that while pregnant many women frequently bump their baby bump into the doors and windows? The constantly changing forms don’t allow them to be aware exactly where their baby bump is
- Stress goes away. This is due to the release of opposite hormones that help reduce stress
- Improves self-esteem. Confidence boost is real, guys. Playing well and being part of a good team strokes the player’s ego. As a result, players can face life with a new set of eyes, a stronger belief in his/hers skill and are ready to conquer any obstacles the life may throw at them.